An application is said to be successful only when the changes to application makes the existing users happy and attracts new users.
To know why regression testing is key and the best practices followed, one should first understand the fundamentals of regression testing.
What is regression?
The term regression means returning to a former state or repeating the previous step. Regression testing is full or partial selection of already executed test cases, which are re-executed to ensure the appropriate working of existing functionalities of the application. In software testing, regression testing is performed to ensure that the recent code tweak has not affected the existing features of the application.
Two Macros of Regression Testing
- Re-running the previously conducted tests
- Comparing current results with previously executed test results
- Regression Testing is done when –
- A new feature is added to the application or the product
- When an enhancement is added to the existing module of the application
- When a bug is fixed
- When any performance related issue is fixed
- Regression Testing is done when –
This is a continuous process performed at various stages of application development throughout the software testing life cycle. A best practice is to conduct regression test after the sanity or smoke testing and at the end of functional testing for a short release.
Challenges in Regression Testing
- If regression testing is performed without using automated tools or frameworks, then it can be very monotonous and time-consuming because of executing the same set of test cases repeatedly.
- Regression testing is always required even when a very small modification is done in the code, because this small change can bring unexpected issues or errors in the in the existing functionality of the application.
Regression Testing Services at Indium
When an application is updated, there are 2 things that have to be factored. It should work fine and has to be in the market on time. More stress is given on time as that determines the success of the software in this competitive market. Our overall planning, staffing, tools, and technology are key to accomplish extra in less time.
Time is Everything, But Timing is Success
Our Regression Testing Services Offer
At Indium, we ensure the success of test automation by identifying the business needs, setting clear cut goals & objectives and checking for test automation readiness. We provide exactness in regression testing to alleviate risk and ensure serendipity using our homegrown test automation framework.
- We help you to achieve risk-free regression testing
- Provide precision in regression testing to facilitate maximum coverage
- Increase the productivity and efficiency of quality assurance applications by enhancing the go to market time significantly.
Automated Regression Testing
- Automated testing is the only genuine technique to support rapid and stable releases. It is important to integrate automated regression testing as a part of the development activities.
- Many organizations have reduced the testing efforts in developing test automation framework and there by realized reduction in overall regression testing efforts.
- Automated regression also offers continuous regression with multiple data sources.
- Test Automation enables clients to run complete regression tests for all the major and minor releases improving the overall quality of applications
Finding a right regression testing tool is a major factor contributing to accelerate testing process. A well planned and controlled tool selection process will help to achieve this. Indium is a tool agnostic firm, which will offer a complete tool assessment services based on the automation coverage, technology/platform and roadmap for RoI.
Regression Test Automation with Selenium Web Driver
Top Regression Testing Framework for iOS Apps
Top Regression Testing Framework for Android Apps
Manual Regression Vs Automation Regression Testing
Regression testing whether it is Manual or automated, there are few crucial steps to be followed for better testing process. Regression testing is always a challenging as a feature set of the application grows. Whether manual or automated or both, sometimes regression testing becomes unmanageable in the eyes of the business owners and it is abandoned in the face of the effort it represents, and then everyone loses the benefits. Regression testing must be regularly pruned and trained in the most desired/useful direction.
Indium suggests some steps for effective regression testing
- Identification of high priority test cases
- Initiation of sprint with regression
- Aggressive prioritization of the regression test cases along with sprints
- Documentation of each sprint
- Effective attention to the basic regression
- Test case grooming – updating the test cases frequently to the relevant application functionality
- Prepare test case execution time estimates
- Plan the test cases as a part of sprint planning
With over a decade of experience in software testing service offering, Indium has come with another methodical approach that will help you reducing the time for regression testing. They are the four Rs – Reduce / Re – Use / Recycle / Recover
Reduce the regression testing time by creating effective regression test suites that test the updated code of the software,
- by identifying test cases in the regression test suite that do not need a rerun on the updated software
- by identifying and removing obsolete regression test cases.
Reuse test suites created for one version of the software
- by identifying those test cases that need to be rerun for testing subsequent versions of the software
- by computing an effective ordering for running the test cases
Recycle test cases
- by monitoring test executions to gather test inputs that can be used for re-testing (Difference between Regression & Re-testing blog)
- by creating unit test cases from system test cases
Recover test cases
- by identifying, manipulating, and transforming obsolete regression test cases
- by reproducing new test cases from old ones
- by repairing test cases when the software changes
Why Automated Regression Testing? Automation Advantages
In every business, the amount of time and resources required to manually smoke test and regression test the newly added features, are incremental. These new updates contribute to a new functionality in each release. The overall new release is initially tested and debugged in order to assure the quality of the newly added features. Then the new test cases are added to the list of regression testing, necessary in the current and future releases. Regression Test Automation is a key driver for enhancing the software quality by assuring the consistency of the existing functionality is being delivered to the end users. The key measures that will be realized as a result of regression testing automation with Indium are –
- Increases Testing Cycles with Lesser turnaround time
- Enhanced Test Coverage with reusable test cases
- Lower Total Cost of Ownership for testing tools licensing
- Highly skilled teams with flexibility of ramp up and down based on QA needs
While performing regression testing manual and automation becomes complementary to each other. Some points to be kept in mind while performing regression testing are as follows:
- Test automation should first be performed on the most repeated test cases. These test cases need to be rerun after each build of the software.
- If the test scripts become too long it should be executed manually rather than automated way. It takes long time to write the test scripts for such cases and quite often these test cases might fail due to small errors in the following steps.
- The test automation should be performed only when the build is stable. If the build is unstable or is changing frequently it would fail all the tests causing a lot of troublesomeness.
- Using pointers is very beneficial in regression testing if there are any changes on later stage it can easily be found using the pointers.
Indium has a realistic and innovative approach to test automation. Our selection of tools, framework and methodology has the ability to analyze, advise and apply an effective regression test automation plan that is appropriate to every application and product.
Indium’s Regression Test Automation Objectives
- Regression Test Automation Feasibility Analysis
- Test Automation Tool Assessment – leverage both open source and commercial tools
- Custom tools creation for automation needs
- Design and Implement Regression Test Automation Framework
- Ensure Test environment for productive testing
- Develop new scripts for application enhancements
- Consistency – Reusable, modularized, flexible and easy to maintain test scripts
- Report at every execution
Indium’s Regression Testing Automation Features
- API, CLI, Web services-based and other Interfaces automation
- Test Automation of Desktop, Web-based, Mobile (Android and iOS), Database and Flash/Flex applications
- Test Automation framework creation for Functional and Non-functional requirements
- Diverse framework expertise such as Data-Driven, Test-Driven, Keyword-Driven or Table-Driven, Modular-Driven and Hybrid Framework
- Strong expertise in competitive testing tools: QTP, Selenium, Silk Test, Telerik, Silk Mobile, Rational Suite and Ranorex
- Well-versed in vast range of Test Management tools such as HP Quality Center, IBM Rational Quality Manager, Testopia and SCTM; Defect Management tool such as Jira, Bugnet, Bugzilla, and ontime
- Thunder Automation framework for report generation
- Regression Automation as a package (fixed price project) and/or catalogue driven [Per Test Script based] pricing model.
Indium’s Value Proposition
- Choice of script during automation
- Regression at business process level
- ‘QoQ’ improvement in % automation and reduction in regression run time
- Provide an indicative ‘RoI’ on Regression Automation